Soul with Masha

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hip Hop Recital Practice

It was a hard practice yesterday. Although we learnt 5 eights, there were many 'and' counts.. thus in fact we learnt 5 eights x 2.

Pat said in the beginning of the class that he has lots to teach and asked us to focus and don't give up. In the almost 2 hours class, we only rested in a total of less than 5 minutes.

Frankly speaking, I cannot remember how many times we have done the same choreo over and over again. We learnt the new steps in separate sets, and subsequently, started with the beginning of the song, which means the choreo we learnt last week.

Almost till the end of the class, Pat asked us to take some water again, and continue. We all sat down.. and I can see each of us looked pale... really pale. Panting and gasping for water. My hair was totally wet...I cannot imagine it. It was the first time.. as if I just came out from shower.

The last round was kind of demo to the other class (who are also learning dance for their company D&D), which we didn't even know it was a demo as Pat just asked us to go to the next studio. I stood in front and really, I can't recalled what I did. I remembered I started dancing, and the rest of it.. totally can't remember. All I know is that I danced out most of the choreo, and I just whacked.

At the end of the class, Pat explained to us.. if he has not pushed us, we would not have learnt so much yesterday.. even though we may not master it, but we knew the steps.. He explained to us his concept for the dance.. and told us we must attend next week's class. There will be a practice on 8 Dec, 11am - 2pm, though it is a holiday.

Some of us just sat at the reception, as we were too tired to get up... I recapped the choreo with Eileen. She was really tired. I am glad that I still have the stamina. But I was tired too.. Eileen said at the end of it, she felt like vomitting. I can now understand what Pat said to me previously. When I asked him, how could his NTU students remembered all the choreo for few songs at the dance concert. He said they danced till they vomit. This is the first time I have such an experience in learning and practising for a hip hop recital. Mine is only 2 hours... artists like w-inds have to practice 8 hours... and it really requires a lot of energy and determination. Normally almost till the end, I get tired that my mind can't focus anymore. Pat know all of us are like that... in fact, he asked for a short break and asked us to go out of the room to get some air.

The Beginner Hip Hop class dancemates started their practice after ours. It was already past 10pm... All of us are trying our best for the recital. I am touched about this. We are not paid for performing in the recital.. but it's the satisfaction that we want, to showcase what we have learnt (I guess most of us feel the same). Most importantly, I think most of us want to challenge ourselves and see how far we can go.

Yes, I am stressed. Claire said "Don't worry, you can make it." Pat
asked if I am afraid of hardwork? And said most people will deny that they are afraid of hardwork. He said "some people take this much to reach that much, while some take more to reach that little bit. So be it." He said some people just tried and at a certain point of them, they will find the breaking point. From there, they will improve.

When I told him I am stressed, he said "It's because you don't know the steps well." That really strikes me!!! Yes, I am stressed coz I don't know the steps well and I can't catch some of the timing.. So as Pat said, must practice at home!

As Pat said, stress at office and stress at dance is different, coz use different side of the brain. But if just stress at office, give up dance, then life is boring.

Yes, that's exactly what I think...

It's probably the lack of confidence that has been hindering me... I will put in hardwork, and challenge myself to see how far I can go.

Come to think of it, the conversation with Pat last night, was somehow encouraging. He's not the sort of person who will give sweet talks. But he gives sound advice, as he has been through a hard time in his dancing career.

Pat, thanks eh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home