Soul with Masha

Saturday, September 20, 2008

River Festival

I attended the Opening of the River Festival last night to watch Fil (my Jazz Instructor)'s performance and take photos.

RF is the event that kind of celebrate F1 in town and there are series of dance, singing and other performances along Central Mall and Clark Quay these two weekends.

I reached Central Mall around 7.15pm and the dance performance has started. The story of the performance is about the founding of Spore. I managed to get quite a good view, almost facing centre of the stage. There is not much crowd. Lucky! So I started taking photos and watching the dance, and trying to spot Fil.

The lion dance performance is good! Wow, I really enjoyed watching it. Finally I saw Fil and his dancing! His dancing is superb! I can see his groove and passion in dance. I think he's the best among all the dancers.

The dancers stayed back to allow audiences to take photos. Fil is pro in the sense that he will look at every angle to allow photographers have the chance to take his picture. Haha. Managed to talk to Fil while he was on his way backstage. He's happy that I came with my camera and asked me to go to the opposite side (Clark Quay) for the next performance.

I took some photos of the dancers and walked along the riverside, following the dancers to the opposite side. But the security guards do not allow us to cross the bridge with them due to security issues (coz Minister is the VIP). Seeing that I have to walk further to another bridge in order to cross over, I gave up the idea and walked back to Central Mall after hearing that they will be fireworks. I waited for it and to my disspointment, only ships lighted with color lights came sailing along the river. The Minister waved at us and only a miserable small firwork to kick off the Opening. So I walked to the nearer bridge (at my right side) to cross over to Clark Quay.

It's the first time I went to Central Mall and Clark Quay at night. I am really surprised that the night life there is bustling. So crowded at Clark Quay! I managed to spot Fil as he was waiting for his turn to enter the stage.

Then there is this ang moh, who dressed in all white, who is so happy taking photos of Fil and other dancers. He seemed to enjoy himself. I stood beside him and took photos. Strangely, we started a conversation. I think he initated it as he asked me to take a photo of him with Fil and the rest. His name is Walid and he is an Egyptian(!) who stayed in Dubai, work as a flight cabin crew for Emirates! I was surprised when he told me he is from Dubai. More surprise when he said he is an Eyptian. Walid is friendly and keeps smiling. He stayed in Spore for 2 days, and his flight back to Dubai is yesterday midnight. According to him, all his colleagues are sleeping and he came alone coz he heard of this event.

We started chatting for a while. Walid commented that Fil is the best too after he watched Fil's dance from the TV (we cant go near the stage as reserverd for VIPs). Walid is also a dancer before he become a flight cabin crew. He is more on the ballroom dancing, salsa etc. He has performed and even joined competitions and won before. He said the last performance was in a bar, with 6 females and males dressed up like Chicago and danced the same way as in the movie. Wow! Dancing has now become his sideline when he's not flying. Interesting.

I am glad that dance has become our common topic. Walid encouraged me that my dance skills will improve if I continue to have the passion in dance, and put in effort. Thanks Walid!

It was a short encounter and I'm happy to know Walid. We exchanged email addresses and our Facebook account as we both like to know new friends. Walid said he will contact me again when he's back in town. I'm not sure if we will still contact each other. Anyway, it's an interesting experience for me.

My legs were tired after standing for almost 3 hours... But it's kind of worth it I think. (^^)

PS. Didn't manage to take some nice photos... m(_ _)m

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home