Soul with Masha

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

8 April 2007 – 高知

高知城




日曜日市

I started my day by going to the sunday market. It is the
biggest market in Kochi which is held once a week.

Kochi has market everyday, but the biggest is the 日曜日市 (sunday market) which is near my hotel and 高知城 (Kochi Castle). The stalls were all along the streets. There are many stalls. The guidebook said this market has over 200 stalls.

Fruits, vegetables, souvenirs, food etc were sold in the market. I walked along the stalls and took photos. I wanted to browse first and go Kochi Castle. It was interesting. I saw big diakon (white carrot) selling at 100 yen. Oh my gosh! People who visit the market are mainly locals. Of course with tourists too. I saw Japanese from other parts of Japan and a few Caucasians. Coincidentally, I saw 2 female caucasians who took the same train to Kochi as me yesterday.

Kochi Castle is famous. There were sakura at the garden of the castle. The scenery was beautiful. There were people sitting in the garden, under the sakura trees and having pinic. It was so relaxing!

I meet a local volunter who was stationed outside the castle. He told me that he visited Singapore 2 years back. He could speak a little English but we conversed in Japanese.
 
The castle is smaller than Nagoya castle, at least I do not have to walk like made. The steps inside the castle that lead to the roof top are very steep. The breadth of the steps are smaller than the lenght of my feet ( I normally wear size 8 shoes). Going down the stairs is a challenge. Luckily there are only about 6 storeys in the castle.

This time my feeling for the castle is not as shocking. Probably because this is the second time I visited a castle. I saw photos of the various castles in Japan in Kochi Castle. So far I have visited 2 castles. I am going to Matsuyma Castle soon. Perhaps I may ultimately visit all the castles in Japan!
I went back to the market after visiting Kochi Castle. I ate some food and drank the famous giner tea. I bought tomatos, charcoal and chopsticks at the market. The charcoal seller gave me a free charcoal piece. Perhaps he know I am a foreigner.

I ordered handmade name mobile strips from a stall. The seller will send it to my friend's address in Japan. I ordered a few and paid upfront. She did not charge me postage for sending within Japan. Well, I have to trust her. She said she will send in early May, as she has too much orders in hand.

I ate the tomatos in the hotel. So sweet! This is the first time I tasted such sweet and delicious tomatos. I wanted to buy yuzu and cucumber but do not think I can finish all.
Sickening, I cannot tune to Suzuki Talking FM. Cannot hear Masha's programme! Sigh... but luckily I heard All Night Nippon last night!

Went to はりやま橋 (Hariyama Bashi) in the evening. 今中さん called me last night and told me about the bridge. This bridge is meant to be a romantic bridge. In olden days, a monk fall in love with a girl and waited for her at this bridge. People found out about their relationship, which is forbidden love. If
今中さん have not told me about this story, I would not have gone there.  

I did some window shopping and bought Oricon weekly because it has Masha's concert report and w-inds FC event report.

I think I am crazy, worried about the luggage weight and yet still buy and buy. Anyway, I will try to pull through, no matter what!

I ate the same 鰹 set at the same stall, same place - ひろめしば (Hiromeishiba). The stall helper can recognise me. Haha. The fish is delicious. Today the pieces are bigger slices. Hmm... 

This market is a gathering place for the locals. It is like a foodcourt. People eat, drink and chat. Probably this is how they spend their Sunday night.

Crazy me, bought a Beatles CD when on my way back to hotel. Hopeless. I just controly myself and did not buy Mr Children's CD. Have to buy in Osaka.

Kochi city on the whole is a quiet town. It gives me a different feeling from Toyama. Well, at least there are LV and Emporio Armani boutiques here. Youngsters dress more hip. But I don't see many youngsters though.

Got to start packing. Tomorrow I am going to 四万十川 (Shimanto River) and will stay at youth hostel. Probably won't have email access.

Will try to write diary when I can. おやすみなさい.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home